"I'm Sorry" Flowers
You blew it. You figure if you get some flowers you'll be out of the dog house. Not necessarily.
Oh sure, it works in the movies, but you're not an actor and this is real life. If you're convinced flowers are the way to go, you'll get extra points if you don't make the following mistakes:
5 Fatal "I'm Sorry Flower" Mistakes
1) Not everyone loves red roses. In fact many people think they're a lazy person's way out. Instead, buy the person's favorite flower or color of flowers. Getting this right shows that you've been paying attention.
2) You may not have tons of money to spend, but don't be cheap. It's better to buy just one magnificent rose than to buy a huge bunch of artificially colored flowers from the fruit and vegetable market down the block. Show that you've put some thought into it.
3) When in doubt, spend more money and buy more flowers. They don't have to be expensive flowers, but there should be a lot of them to make a lasting impact. Don't get a few flowers with a lot of baby's breath believing that the person will think you spent a lot of money. Trust me, they won't. Why? Because a little bit of flowers with a lot of baby's breath looks amazingly like a little bit of flowers with a lot of baby's breath. It's not an elegant or sophisticated look.
4) Write out your own card no matter how bad your handwriting or spelling. It's the thought that counts. If you've really messed up do you honestly believe that a card written by a complete stranger will mean more than one written by you? Scrawling a simple, "I love you and I'm sorry" is all you really need.
5) Sometimes a single bouquet of flowers isn't going to get you out of trouble. Maybe you should take the person out for a nice dinner. Or you may have to buy more "I'm sorry" flowers the next day. A customer at our shop bought his girlfriend flowers for 5 days straight. Little did he know he had her at floral delivery #2.
There are situations, however, where the offense is so great that no amount of flowers will help. Hopefully that's not the case for you.
But, with a little humility, a heartfelt apology, and a beautiful bouquet of flowers you just might be forgiven.
I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject of "I'm sorry" flowers in the comments below.