I used to hate sunflowers. When we opened Fly Me To The Moon I wouldn't even buy them for the shop. But, then customers began asking for them so I had to start carrying them.
Here's what I hated about sunflowers:
1) They were over-sized, looked cartoonish and weighed a ton a lot.
2) The contrast between the dark brown center and the bright yellow petals was too strong.
3) They were usually poorly arranged with flowers they had no business being with.
4) There was just nothing elegant about them.
But, then when I opened an Instagram account for the shop, I began to see sunflowers in a whole new light. All those artisitic shots of sunflowers gave me a diferent perspective.
So here's why I like sunflowers now:
1) Sunflowers are inexpensive. You can get a bunch of them without breaking the bank.
2) Sunflowers last quite a long time. They last well over a week if you give them basic care.
3) You don't need a lot of sunflowers to make a statement. A single sunflower in a vase makes a powerful statement. The more, the merrier.
4) They look great when casually arranged by themselves. No need to get fancy. Just cut them and place them in a vase. And whatever you do, please don't add baby's breath.
5) Sunflowers come in several different varieties
Doug Kalal - The Teddy Bear Sunflower
Gravy Lessons - Velvet Queen or Chocolate Sunflower
6) When the yellow petals start falling off, pull off the rest of them and you have a sunflower with a whole new look.
Flower Glossary: Sunflower - Design Sponge
How to Make A Sunflower Arrangement - Martha Stewart
If you never liked sunflowers, I hope this post will encourage you to give them a second chance.