"Somehow I can't believe there are any heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true...(they) can be summarized in four C's.They are curiosity, confidence, courage and constancy and the greatest of these is confidence." Walt Disney
Do you dream of having fresh flowers in your home all the time? If so, I beg you to try the carnation. I know. Everybody hates them. But apparently not the stylist who set up the scene in the image above.
At least once every 2 weeks a customer asks me not to include carnations in their flower arrangements. This usually happens over the phone at the flower shop..
1) Carnations are often poorly used in cheap-looking floral arrangements and bouquets.
2) The most popular carnation colors are the ugliest.
The reality is that carnations come in a wide array of "designer" colors and bi-colors. When done well they can blend in beautifully with even fancy schmancy flowers like roses, peonies and orchids.
But the best way to incorporate carnations into your life is massing them. Using them in a single bunch in one color. Period. That's what was done in the lovely picture above.
Here's what you can do with carnations using Walt Disney's Four C s
1) Curiosity - Forget about every ugly funeral arrangement you've seen using carnations. Instead, buy yourself a bunch and act like you've never seen them before in your life. Then experiment with them. Cut them short and they'll create a lush look for you.
2) Confidence - Don't worry about what you think your guests might say. Proudly plop that gorgeous arrangement of carnations on the table with your beautiful dishes and coordinated napkins. Then dare anyone to say anything.
3) Courage - If anyone asks what kind of flowers they are simply say they're carnations. Trust me. They'll be stunned. Especially if you use some of the fabulous antique varieties now available.
4) Constancy - Use them all the time. Use them in tiny bunches around the house. Take 20 carnations and place them in a fancy vase. Take a few to the office to lift your spirits. Tie them with a ribbon to napkins for lovely place settings.
Need even more reasons to start using carnations?
- Come on people.They're cheap.
- Bunch 3 of them together with a rubber band and they'll look like a hydrangea.
- Carnations last 2-3 weeks except in hot weather.
What more can you ask for?
Want to know the secret of having a home that looks like the ones in magazines? Flowers!
Don't wait until you have enough money to buy fancy flower arrangements. Life's too short. Buy some carnations this week and who knows, maybe:
"Anything your heart desires will come to you."
When You Wish Upon A Star
Which one of Walt Disney's four Cs of success is hardest for you to embrace?