I learned the importance of setting a nice table from my 10 year old son.
I used to work in a senior management position in a not-for-profit. My husband worked nights. So I'd get home late after picking up the kids and frantically throw together a quick dinner. I'd slosh it onto the plates with my suit still on and scream for my sons to come to dinner.
Importance of Setting A Nice Table
I'll never forget the night my 10 year old son said, "Can we just sit down and eat like a normal family? I'll set the table." His words stopped me dead in my tracks.
Since then, I've grown to appreciate the need to stop and smell the roses. To take the time to set a casually elegant table for my family or even myself. Don't get me wrong. I don't do it every day or even every week, but when the spirit moves me I make it special.
Image: Real Simple
How to Create A Casually Elegant Table Setting
- Put a nice tablecloth on your table. I suggest cloth. I have some beauties from local thrift shops.
- Select one or two items you love and build your color scheme around them. It could be a small vase with a rose or a beautiful bowl of shells. Could be something your kid created out of clay.
- Buy some beautiful paper napkins from Home Goods or IKEA. You can fold them in some fancy way.
- Break out the special glasses. What are you saving them for? You can get plastic ones for the kids if you like.
- Add a few candles and you have yourself a special table setting.
What I learned from my son that day is simple. That it really doesn't take much longer to set a casually elegant table than it does it's fast food cousin. But the impact lasts a lifetime.
What unusual object do you like to add to your table settings? If often use books to elevate vases of flowers or candles.
Image: Carolyne Roehm